ROCKY RACCOON - MY FIRST 50 MILE RACE EXPERIENCE


BEFORE

I’ve been training for about 20 weeks leading up to the race, the Dallas marathon being part of the training, along with back to back long runs on the weekends, so I felt I was adequately trained to complete the task, although completely in the dark as to what the experience would be, other than painful at the end.

I packed late Thursday night and only slept about 5 hours... my goal was at least 6-6.5 quality sleep hours. Work deadlines and family commitments made planning and getting to the race a little tricky- but we were able to leave at Noon Friday, relieving some of the stress. My favorite sunglasses broke just before we left, I was hoping this wasn’t an omen of the weekend about to unfold. Cathey has been certain for the last few months that I was going to end up needing medical care as a result of this activity, so she came along to crew for me.

 
THE TRIP DOWN

We headed out for Huntsville, stopping for the first time at Bucee’s… where we were duly impressed at a true Texas size convenience store with the most amazing restroom facilities I’ve ever seen. We went straight to the park for packet pickup and the race briefing at 4PM.

 
Joe & Joyce Prusaitis, the race directors are incredible at managing the race and all that goes into putting it on. The volunteers were great, the logistics of getting over a 1,000 people in the park itself and then 750+ runners through a weekend is truly amazing, and it was a well organized race with incredible support.



It was good to see friendly runner faces at the briefing, we were going to meet up with the NTTR group for dinner, but I decided on impulse to grab Chinese Buffet, thinking I could find good & quick at one place… it was acceptable, I over ate a little, we checked in to the Comfort Suites and began logistical strategy for the race.

 

A LESS THAN RESTFUL NIGHT

Over thinking as I usually do, I calculated aid station splits so Cathey could meet me at 3 stations of the 4 on the course. I failed to take into account the over stress on her… walking 5 miles on rough ground when she probably is only good for 3 miles, my bad, didn’t even cross my mind that I created an endurance event for her as well. I laminated my copy of the splits, and never once looked at it during the race. I went to bed around 11PM… our A/C would run about 10 minutes, then cut off… it had a built in circuit breaker at the plug in which would only reset after cooling off 5-10 minutes.  The hotel had overbooked, so another room wasn't an option. I woke up at 2:32AM and could NOT get back to sleep. After an hour of trying, I checked out FB posts, then tried again to doze off- around 4AM I got a 30 min nap. Sleep deprivation will play a factor later today.


RACE DAY – GAME ON!

Up at 4:30, I got everything on and situated, rechecked my bag for extra shoes, and Cathey loaded up extra sandwiches and Dr. Pepper. I grabbed my usual pre race Snickers and water and we loaded up and headed to the race about 5:30, it was only 5 minutes to the park, with a 10 minute wait in line to pay the park fee, we parked about .75 miles from the start so Cathey would have a resting spot in between walks to the aid stations.

 

I stayed in the car with the heat on until 6:15 – the 100 mile race had already started, we were at the start line about 6:30 where I saw Dave & Claudia and Mark O, along with the other 350+ 50 milers. My 17 minute run / 3 minute walk strategy in mind, I started slow, the race traffic wasn’t  too bad, I was pretty much able to run at my pace by mile 2. The course was fairly narrow most of the way, single track, similar to North Shore with lots of pine needles and exposed roots across the trail. I switched from pace to heart rate, targeting to keep it below 145, so my first loop ended up being 10 minutes faster than expected. I was monitoring HR closely, occasionally I would see 9:30 pace on downhills and 11-12 on the moderate hills, I walked anything that was steep at all, to preserve HR.

 
 

I ran with others sporadically, and leap frogged back & forth with other runners on different run/walk patterns, much like you see at the end of marathons, only this was from the beginning. I was eating PB&J sandwiches, Pringles, M&M’s and drinking Coke & carrying 12oz of Gatorade from each aid station. The second loop brought increased temps, I had told Cathey earlier that I would switch to the 20 oz bottle & holder on the 2nd loop. Because I had run faster, she missed me at the start/finish on the first loop and I didn’t see her until the 1st aid station on the 2nd loop, where she offered me my 24oz bottle and for some unknown crazy reason, I declined. This would lead to a catastrophic negative result in about 4 hours. I wasn’t drinking enough at that point, taking in around 8-10 oz of Coke at each aid station and around 8 oz from the bottle between each station. Unknowingly, I was already reaching hydration deficit before the heat started to rise. I decided to readjust my HR target to 165- which normally keeps me aerobic. Occasionally I would see a 184 and I would mentally freak out, I think it was a monitor error, because I never felt like I was spiking and my respiration never spiked. I was slowing down or walking the hills and felt pretty good about the finishing strong. (Note: Never feel good about finishing an endurance run strong until you’re in final 3 miles) Reaching 25 miles was a milestone that gave me a bit of mental boost, knowing I was over ½ done,

(Note 2: rarely is the ½ way point in your endurance race the ½ way mileage) I was beginning to see a lot of the folks I’d run with on the first loop, now behind me from 20 minutes to an hour.



Mark O & Claudia Z were about an hour ahead of me now, and I was meeting the 100 milers about 4-5 miles from the start. It was good to have strangers to cheer for and cheering you on, as well as your local running buddies, I always get a boost when I see running buds during a race. I was surprised when I met Dave Renfro running the 100, because my last conversation with him, he wasn’t going to run the race at all since he felt he wasn’t trained enough for it. (Dave would finish in 22:30:23) I made it back for my 2nd loop- ate, drank coke & got some M&M’s and took off for the final loop, thinking I was in fairly good shape, everything was feeling good, the faster 2nd loop pace didn’t seem difficult.

 


THE FUN PART IS OVER - NOW THE WORK BEGINS

A few miles after the Nature Trail Aid station, I started feeling a pain in my left sciatica,  I was concerned because if it got much worse, I would have to slow down or start walking. The lower back pain subsided after the next walk, and I though nothing more of it.

A few minutes later, cramps hit big time, for the first time ever, my hamstrings cramped, both at equal pain levels out of the blue, I kept running until the pain level was at a 7, then I walked for 3-4 minutes, took off again and on a very slight hill both quads and both calves cramped in sync, equal pain levels, I didn’t wait to shut it down to a walk. My shoulders and neck were extremely sore which I now realize has happened before on high distances when I’ve dehydrated. Now I’m trying to figure out what to do, I pop mustard, but I know I’m way too late, I drink everything I had, and I continue on jog/ walking as soon as something cramps. Any miss step or erratic leg movement triggers a cramp now. I’m being as careful as possible to be smooth stepping, not easy on a trail… and I’m so thankful to see the NTTR Dam Nation Aid station in sight. 

The volunteers at the NTTR DamNation aid station were my guardian angels today. (The busiest aid station in America)

I told a lady at the sandwich table (who I later found out was Paula Billman) that I was extremely dehydrated, cramping and didn’t know what to do. She had me sit down for 10 minutes – put a timer on me, gave me some kind of cranberry energy bar and filled my bottle with water to drink, a tall dude who looked official and confident came up to me, seeing that I was in the “hot seat”.  I told him what I’d been eating/ drinking and he made very apparent the endurance dumb ass I had been to this point… not enough fluids, the wrong kind of fluids and no electrolytes coupled with 70 degree temps… what was I expecting?…tough love hurts, but he gave me a plan - electrolytes and a minimum 12 oz water each aid station and 12 oz in between each station w/ electrolytes and some nutrition. (This was Fred Thompson, Captain of the DamNation crew) I left feeling 100% better, was able to run at speed again, pain free and with heart rate in check. He also let me know 12 oz was not near enough fluid in between stops, so I was still screwed as far as being able to continue “normally”. Revived with a plan in my clouded mind, I got up and took off.

BACK IN BUSINESS...

Running again, surprisingly at pace as before, I’m astonished that my body recovered so quickly. I was still walking the hills, drinking a few sips at each walk and I thought I’d be finishing up in good shape… until about 2 miles in on a steep downhill, and the onset of cramps came back, I had exhausted the 12 oz of water already, so I went back to the gingerly pace and liberal walk breaks. I must have been hobbling., a couple of guys running together that I had passed earlier asked if I was ok as I was walking the uphill back to DamNation aid station. I tanked up on water again, 2 more electrolyte capsules, Pringles and off I went for the longest stretch to the next aid station.

This time I wasn’t near back to normal, I had to take it easy and I decided on 5/2 run/walk. I made about a mile and a half, I decided to sit at the next bench for 2 minutes in hopes of some leg recovery. When I got to the bench, I shared it with another guy who was just slowing from knee problems, we talked a while and I wished him a good finish, I’m guessing he had to walk it in. Back on course, I adjusted to running easy for as long as I could or 5 minutes, walking any elevation that came up. I was still passing fellow hiker/runners at this point, but ever so slowly, sometimes passing during walk stretches. I was wondering what they were experiencing, but until now, it never entered my mind to ask- I was fairly consumed at managing my situation, I had been seeing many of my first loop compatriots from the half way point, we exchanged encouragement, my respect for all the runners, no matter what pace grew with each passing, knowing that they either had or were about to “hit the wall” It was encouraging to hear “looking strong”  “good work”  “Go Dallas” or “go DRC” – all from folks who didn’t know me other than right here right now. I drank all my water about 2 miles before the last aid station. I slowed a little more. When I got to the last aid station, I drank about 18 oz of water, took 4 electrolyte capsules, filled up my bottle and headed out to finish the race.

Hoping I’d recover some from the water & electrolytes, I felt like I could continue the run/walk as I had been earlier. The first few now seemingly steep up hills proved to be enough to take my legs to a new level of fatigue. As I met a family on a hike, their dog moved erratically, and I stumbled on a root, the stumble triggered cramps causing me to almost stop from my slow jog. I was about 3 miles out, now I would run on the flats and walk any elevation. Now I’m out of the woods (pardon the pun) as far as cramps are concerned, but straight muscle fatigue seems to be setting in. My legs are revolting, I decide to run/walk 100 paces each as far as I can. I’m now about a mile and a half out and can’t believe I can’t just gut it out and run, I resign myself to finishing as fast as my body will allow without passing the 8 level on my pain scale. A runner caught up with me and we ran together until a half a mile out, I wasn’t able to hold pace up a slight hill, I decided that I would finish running, no matter what the pace. I’ve experienced great joy at the end of races, but I have to admit, I couldn’t process the accomplishment at the time. I got a hug from a lady handing out finisher medals and I worried that a motorboat incident might occur, as she was much shorter and well endowed… I guess some parts of my lizard brain were still working ok, but I was on extremely shaky legs.

I walked into the aid station tent, stood bent over, hands on knees for a good while, then I got some ramen noodles & flour tortillas, hobbled to the chair Cathey brought to the finish area and rested while she went to get the car. I got to visit w/ the always energetic and talkative Laz, who was crewing because of an injury that prevented him from racing. I took my chair over to the road and sat by a volunteer blocking traffic until Cathey arrived, I think we had a conversation, but I have no idea what about.

RECOUP AND RECOVER

Cathey drove me back to the hotel, let me out near the outdoor pool, where I stood for 10 minutes up to top of my thighs, before going to the room for a shower & pizza. 

I couldn’t help but feel a little guilty for not going back out to the course to cheer or offer moral support to the 100 milers who were battling on through the night while I was eating pizza and drinking Dr. Pepper.

Pain scale: 1= feeling a pebble in you shoe, just enough to know something is there, not bad enough to do anything about it. 10= jamming an ice pick about 5 inches deep into your thigh and giving it a little twist before pulling out.

Rocky Raccoon 50 Mile

12:24 Ave Pace 147 Ave HR 6:49 Fast Pace 201 Max HR

1-     11:12
2-    11:29
3-    11:30
4-    11:30
5-    11:00
6-    10:47
7-    12:36
8-    10:48
9-    12:11  DamNation out
10-11:27
11-  11:21
12-10:58
13-11:48
14-12:09 Park Rd return
15-10:59
16-11:26
17-13:14  Finish Aid Station
18-11:10
19-11:45
20-13:05
21-10:37
22-11:10
23-12:07 DamNation Aid Station out
24-10:55
25-10:30
26-13:30 DamNation Aid return
27-10:53
28-10:34
29-13:18 Park Rd Aid station return
30-10:06
31-11:16
32-11:22
33-11:28
34-14:17 Finish Aid Station 3Rd Loop
35-11:39
36-11:47
37-14:05 Nature Trail Aid Station out
38-13:10
39-12:54
40-24:48 DamNation Aid / Recover 12 Mins
41-11:21
42-12:34
43-16:01 DamNation Last Stop
44-13:10
45-13:41 Sat 2 mins to recover
46-13:25
47-13:42  Park Road Aid Station
48-15:22  100 pace walk/jog
49-14:19
50-12:40 – 13:58 pace on .91 miles

Shout outs:
Thanks to my wife Cathey for excellent support, my DRC training group for their moral support, Nick Polito for guidance & training advice (20:38:13 -100 mile finish)
Buds I saw during the race (and could remember) Shaheen Sattar, Matt Crownover, Edgar Martinez, Francesca Bissman, Dave Renfro, Henry Zoch III, Rick Johnson- all completed or attempted the 100. 50 Mile compatriots: Claudia Zulejkic, Mark Olateju, Libby Jones, Nikki Davis, Novle Rogers, the gal from Sacramento, the two short Tri-dudes, the A&M dude w/ a webcast and his Aggie fan, Laz Reece, Marcus Grunewald, Brent & Ally Yost and the dude racing who shouted out on loop 2, I think his name is James, but I couldn't place him to save my life. North Texas Trail Runners- thanks again, I'll do my best to represent my membership in this great club.

Congratulations to all who completed, supported or attempted these races.
If you have any interest in participating in an endurance event, I highly recommend getting involved in the experience, any way you can, no matter what your experience level, someone will help you get better at the event and you will help someone else.


I've stumbled through putting this blog together, much like I finished the 50 Mile race... but again, it's my first time- I didn't credit the photos - thanks Marcus & Mark, Dave and Cathey.  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 OUTLAW 135 - Last man standing DNF with a 100M unofficial finish

Arkansas Traveler 100 Race Report 2014

Black Hills 100 Race Report 2021